Herbal Methods of Getting Different Shades of Hair Color:
Although, chemical based hair dyes offer you variety of shades but they are known to cause side effects such as eczema, irritation, blistering and respiratory problems. Some chemicals are found to have carcinogenic feature (cancer causing ability). If this is the scenario with hair coloring then do you ignore your wish of getting a hair color.
Hell, No!!!! You can definitely get your favorite shade without using harsh chemicals which will not give you any health risk. Yes, this is possible with natural hair dyes.
1. Carrot Juice
As we all know, carrot has vitamin A, which helps your hair grow stronger. They also reduce the turning of gray hair. Carrot also has vitamin E, which helps in hair regrowth.
How to color hair with carrot juice
- Take two carrots and juice them.
- Squeeze the pulp out and separate the juice.
- Then add carrier media like coconut oil or olive oil. Apply evenly to your hair.
- Cover it with some plastic or a hair cap. Let it sit for an hour.
- Rinse it with ACV and dry.
- Repeat the steps if you need more tint.
2. Beet Juice
Beetroot juice comes with the same properties as carrot juice. However, beet leaves more tint on your hair compared to carrots.
How to color hair with beet juice
- Prepare some beetroot juice.
- Let the hair soak in it for a couple of hours.
- Massage till the juice reaches the roots to give an even tint.
- Rinse it with water using a mild shampoo.
- Condition and damp dry the hair.
Did you know sage, a common medicinal herb, can produce an organic hair dye? It also helps in hair regeneration and keeps the scalp clean.
How to color hair with sage
- Boil some water and add a teaspoon of sage.
- Let it boil for 20 mins to get all the dye out.
- Cool it down to room temperature.
- Detangle your hair and start dipping it into the water.
- Let it sit for an hour or two.
- Rinse as usual. Sage darkens your hair color if you have dark hair, or you can get a beautiful pastel green if you have bleached or blonde hair.
If you are looking for temporary hair color with cool shades, try some kool-aid hair dye.
How to color hair with Kool-Aid
- Wear some gloves to prevent your hands from staining.
- Start mixing a pack of your favorite color with hot water.
- Add some conditioner to it and apply it to the hair.
- Secure with some hair cap and wait for 20 mins.
- Rinse under cold water and dry it.
5. Food Coloring
If you are looking for something easy and affordable, grab your food dyes from the kitchen. These are tested, and no worries about complications.
How to color hair with food coloring
- Bleach your hair if you have dark hair colors.
- Mix 1 or 2 parts of food color in water.
- Now apply it to your hair and let it sit for 30 mins.
- Cover your hair with caps or plastics because this can drip easily.
- Wash under running cold water and condition for better results.
6. Black Walnuts
Black walnuts are the richest brown dyes. This is because they have tannins that release these brown shades of dyes.
How to color hair with black walnuts
- Crush the walnuts into fine powder.
- Boil two cups of water and add 4 spoons of walnut powder.
- Let it boil for a minute. Strain the large powdery granules.
- Mix it with some unscented and colored conditioner and apply it to your hair.
- Leave it for two hours to get a dark coffee brown; the stain completely depends on when you soak it in.
- Rinse with cold water and enjoy.
Everybody knows about it and it is being used since ancient times. Besides using for hair care and coloring, it is also used to paint the hands, nails with beautiful designs temporarily. It not just colors your hair but it nourishes it, condition it, cover graying and remove scalp irritation. Its cooling effect relaxes your mind. Therefore, it gives your hair a healthy and shiny appearance.
How to Color Hair with Henna
- Make a mixture by adding one cup of henna powder and one cup of lemon or orange juice in an iron vessel.
- Leave it for overnight after covering the mixture with a plastic cover.
- Add half to one cup water to make a paste which has yogurt like consistency.
- You can use the henna after 12 – 24 hours.
- Apply on your hair and leave for one hour.
- Wash it off with water.
You must be thinking how lemon can give you hair color. Its citric acid content has natural bleaching properties which can give you amazing highlights and regular use of lemon juice can lighten you hair color. But its regular use can extremely dry your hair so five times in a month is fine if you want to lighten your hair.
How to Use Lemon Juice
- Mix juice of 1 – 2 lemons with ¼ cup of water and apply it with brush or spray with a spray bottle on your hair.
- Sit in the sun for 1 – 2 hours and you will see that your hair color gets lightened. Sunlight is required to activate the lightening component of lemon juice.
- Use a conditioner after rinsing your hair with water.
9. Chamomile tea
This tea also has bleaching effect on hair and when it is teamed up with lemon then it enhances the lightening process of hair under sunlight. So if you have blonde hair or you want to add light streaks to your hair then apply this accordingly on few strands or whole hair.
How to Use Chamomile Tea
- Put 8 chamomile tea bags in a pot of boiled water.
- Let the tea steep into the water for 30 minutes.
- Strain the tea and add one cup of plain organic yogurt and few drops of lavender oil to it.
- Massage your hair with this concoction from root to tip.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo to remove extra chamomile extract and let it air dry.
10. Black coffee
This can also give a rich and dark brown color to your hair. It is an easy procedure and has no side effects.
How to Color Hair with Black Coffee
- Get an unflavored roast of black coffee.
- Brew an entire pot of it in water.
- Let it cool down and strain the extract.
- Massage your hair with this extract from root to tip.
- Cover your hair with shower cap and leave it for 15 minutes to set in.
- Rinse it off with water and you can notice red or brown highlights if you have black hair.
11. Red Hibiscus Tea
If you want a red hair tone then rinsing your hair with red hibiscus tea can give you the desired result. You can give red highlights to your hair with this method.
How to Use Red Hibiscus tea
- Put 5 hibiscus tea bags in boiled water.
- Let it steep for 30 minutes.
- Massage your hair thoroughly with the strained extract.
- Leave for one hour or more until your hair dries out completely.
- Rinse with water and wash it with a mild shampoo.
- Let it air dry.
If you want to add funky and striking color like purple to your hair then you can easily get it by using blackberries. This is a semi permanent technique therefore it will fade away in few weeks but it is 100% safe so that you can flaunt your purple hair streaks or highlights without harming yourself.
How to Color Hair with Blackberry
- Mash two cups of blackberries in a bowl finely.
- Massage your hair with this mashed up blackberries.
- Wear a shower cap and leave it for couple of hours to set.
- Rinse out with water and towel dries your hair.
This post was last modified on July 5, 2022 8:59 pm