If you want to dye your naturally then henna is the best option for you. Henna is a natural dye and it can easily cover gray hair, deepens and brightens brown hair and add a beautiful reddish tint to hair. If you mix henna with other herbs such as chamomile, indigo, cassia or Indian gooseberry (Amla) then you can achieve beautiful shades of red.
Here we will discuss how to dye hair with henna in simple steps:
Required ingredients for dyeing
- Natural henna powder
- Mixing agent: lemon or orange juice, chamomile tea
- Bowl and spoon for mixing
- Measuring cup
- Old towel or rags
- Paper towels
- Shower cap
- Plastic gloves
Prepare henna paste
- Mix one cup henna powder with one cup orange or lemon juice in an iron vessel or bowl. Iron oxidizes the henna and gives more effective results.
- Cover the mixture with a plastic wrap and leave it for overnight at 70 degree temperature.
- Add half to one cup of water until it has a consistency like a yogurt.
- You can use the henna after 12 – 24 hours.
Protect the working area
You have to cover the working area like floor where you are going to color your hair. Therefore, cover your floor and any nearby article with newspaper and put an old rag or towel of dark color around your shoulder to prevent any dripping.
Coat skin near hair
Apply a thin coat of Vaseline or other moisturizing creams to the forehead, ear, and hairline on the neck. This practice is optional but it is highly recommended to avoid any kind of staining on the skin. Vaseline and moisturizing cream can be removed easily if any staining happened.
Prepare hair for coloring
- Remove tangles from hair by using a wide toothed comb.
- Divide your hair into 4 or more sections depends on the length and thickness of hair for more and even coverage of roots.
- Use salon clips to hold each section.
Apply henna on hair
- Start applying henna from the roots while working on one section at a time.
- Apply henna on the entire hair length in chunks and make sure every area is thoroughly covered.
- When you get finished with one section, hold it again with clip.
- Move on to the next section of hair and apply the henna as stated in previous steps.
- When you are done with all sections then pile it upon your hair and secure it with salon clip.
- Take a paper towel and remove any dripping.
- Wear a shower cap to keep your hair warm with body heat because henna works best when heat is applied.
- For rich and deep color use a blow dryer in between to keep your hair warm.
- Let it stay for one hour
- Wash your hair with a color protector shampoo and use a conditioner after washing hair.
- Let your hair dry naturally or if you are using a blow dryer then set the heat on medium level.
You need not to panic if you find your hair color too bright for 1 – 2 days which is very much possible with the use of henna. It will tone down after 1 – 2 days period and you will get nourished, healthy and shiny hair.