Scientifically called Trigonella Foenum-Graecum, Fenugreek in English Language and Methi in Vernacular, is a herb that is mostly grown in Asia and Southern Europe. The word “Fenugreek” is said to be derived from the Latin language which means “Greek Hay”. India is one of the leading producers of methi, Rajasthan being the top producing state. Fenugreek or methi leaves and seeds are widely used in Indian cooking recipes like in curries, vegetables, chutneys, etc. In India, they are even used to make pickles and starters to add flavor. They have a strong aroma and essence and are bitter in taste.
But are you aware of the fact that fenugreek or methi has is very rich in nutrient and have strong medicinal properties too? Rich in vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Vitamin B-complex like Folate, Riboflavin, and Pyridoxine; folic acid, iron, potassium and alkaloids, methi or fenugreek contains plenty of fiber and is beneficial for weight loss. This fiber element in methi controls our appetite. They are powerhouse of antioxidants like trigonelline, diosgenin, etc., all with miraculous health benefits.
Methi is therapeutic and has numerous health benefits. It can effectively treat both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Daily usage of fenugreek helps in reducing blood sugar level and cholesterol level. The mucilage in fenugreek fights against many digestive disorders like indigestion, stomach ulcers, and diarrhea. It is known for improving hormonal balance in men and women and is useful for lactating mothers as it helps them in producing milk. Methi is an effective beauty and tool which can solve everyday hair and skin problems in an inexpensive way.
Two types of fenugreek leaves are cultivated in India: the commonly used larger variety, with dark green, oval-shaped and mildly bitter leaves; and the smaller variety, with white roots and small green leaves, mostly grown in South India. Following are the nutritional contents of methi leaves per 100 gm serving:
- Total Calories: 50
- Total Carbohydrates: 58 gm
- Total Fat: 6 gm
- Sodium: 67 gm
- Potassium: 770mg
- Protein: 23 gm
- Iron: 186% of DV
- Vitamin B6: 30% of DV
- Magnesium: 47% of DV
Fenugreek or Methi Leaves Recipe Benefitting Skin, Hair and Health:
- For Treating Bowel Issues: Take 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves or its powder in water and put it on the burner till it boils. Strain and then drink it like morning tea. It only takes 5 minutes to prepare and should be consumed until the symptoms subside.
- For Curing Respiratory Problems: Take 1 tbsp of dried methi leaves or its powder and mix it in a glass of water. Put the mixture on a gas burner till it boils. Strain it a bit and then add lemon juice in it. Serve this tea warm. It takes only 5 minutes to prepare and should be consumed daily.
- To Keep Cholesterol Level In Control: Soak 1 bunch fresh methi leaves in water and leave them overnight. Early in the morning, strain the leaves and drink the water. It must be soaked in water the whole previous night and must be taken regularly.
- For Treating Diabetes: Mix 1 tbsp dried methi leaves or its powder in water and put it on a gas burner till the water boils. Then strain serves it warm like a tea. It takes only 5 minutes to prepare and should be consumed daily.
- For Reducing Blemishes: Make a paste using 1 bunch of fresh fenugreek leaves and water. Apply the paste directly on the blemishes with clean hands and leave it for 15 minutes to get soaked. After 15 minutes wash it off with fresh water. This paste must be applied twice a week for early results.
- For Curing Fever: Take ½ cup dry fenugreek leaves in water and boil it for few minutes. Strain the liquid and add lemon and honey in it. Once prepared to serve it warm. This too takes only 5 minutes to prepare and should be consumed till the symptoms subside.
- For Long and Healthy Hair: Make a paste out of 1 cup fresh methi leaves and water. Apply the paste on the scalp in such a way that it covers the entire hair area. Leave it for 40 minutes to get dry. Then wash it off with cold water. It takes 6 minutes to prepare the paste and should be applied once a week.
- For Curing Anaemia: Take 1 tbsp of dried methi leaves or its powder in water and boil it. Strain it and serve the water warm. It takes only 5 minutes to prepare and should be consumed daily.
- For Dealing With Heart Problems: Soak fresh fenugreek leaves in water overnight. Next day early in the morning strain the leaves and drink it. The leaves can be used in salads and dals too. It should be consumed daily without fail.
- For Weight Loss: Take 1 tbsp dried methi leaves or its powder and bring it to a boil. Strain and serve warm with lemon and honey. It takes only 5 minutes to prepare and must be consumed on the first day in the morning every day.
- For Reducing Scars: Make a paste of 1 cup fresh methi leaves using water and lime. Apply the paste on a clean white cloth and place the cloth on the affected area. Leave the cloth on the affected area for 20 minutes. Slowly peel off the cloth and wash the area with cold water. Should be done every day consuming only 5 minutes preparing time.
- For Treating Kidney Problems: Boil 1 cup of fresh methi leaves in a cup of water and take this tea first thing every day in the morning.
- For Treating Baldness: Make a paste of ½ cup fresh methi leaves using coconut oil. Apply this paste all over hair and massage it on the roots. Leave the paste for 40 minutes to dry and then wash it off with cold water. This must be practiced once a week.
- For Treating Tuberculosis; Chew ½ tbsp fresh fenugreek leaves and swallow it with water. This must be practiced every day.
- To Cure Beriberi Disease: Boil ½ cup dried methi leaves in water. Strain the liquid and serve it warm. It must be consumed until the symptoms subside.
- To Deal With Heartburn and Acid Reflux: Add 1 tbsp methi leaves powder in cold milk and drink it to curb acid refluxes. It must be consumed till the symptoms last.
Benefits Of Consuming Methi or Fenugreek Leaves For Skin, Hair, and Health:
- It Helps Treating Bowel Issues: Poor liver functioning and dyspepsia along with any gastric issues and intestinal problems can be treated with the consumption of some methi leaves in the diet regularly. Dysentery and diarrhea are also curable.
- Cures Respiratory Problems: With the use of methi leaves in the dishes or using its powder form made by drying the leaves under the sun helps in curing any kind of allergies or congestion in the respiratory tract.
- It Keeps Cholesterol Level Under Control: Fenugreek leaves reduces the LDL and Triglycerides in the body while increasing good cholesterol to keep heart problems away.
- Useful In Controlling Diabetes Level: Similar to cinnamon, the anti-diabetic element in fenugreek leaves helps in controlling the levels of glucose metabolism in the right manner.
- It Helps In Reduction of Blemishes: Skin marks, blemishes, stubborn spots or any other marks on the face can be treated with the use of methi leaves.
- It Cures Fever: A tea with methi leaves, lemon, and honey as its ingredients, not only brings down the high temperature but also offer soothing relief from digestive disorders like constipation and bloating.
- Stimulates Long and Healthy Hair: A paste of methi leaves with water makes the hair long and shiny and also keeps the hair away from all kinds of chemical damage.
- It Cures Anaemia: Presence of high levels of iron and nutrition in methi leaves are perfect for the treatment as well as prevention of anemia. It increases red blood cells and hemoglobin in the body.
- Deals With Heart Problems: Fenugreek leaves balance the blood liquid levels and make the heart healthier. One of its most important benefits is that it lowers the chances of blood clotting. It also reduces platelet reaction, keeping the heart healthy.
- Helps in Treating Baldness: Methi leaves are very effective in treating hair loss and preventing baldness. It stimulates hair follicles and revitalizes the roots. Fenugreek leaves also add shine and gloss to the hair.
Some other important benefits of using methi leaves either raw with water or in any cuisine are as follows:
- Treating Tuberculosis.
- Treating BeriBeri Disease.
- Stabilize Body Temperature.
- Cures Scars.
- Beneficial for Kidney Problems.
- Assists in Weight Loss
And many more.
So from the above information, it is clear by now that this natural ingredient has a bag full of benefits with no side effects. The best part is that it is not expensive and its daily consumption will not pinch your pocket too. So from today eat or drink Methi or Fenugreek Leaves either in cuisines or with water respectively and live a healthy, nutritious life.
This post was last modified on October 27, 2021 1:35 pm