Many things could affect a person’s mental health, such as family matters, finances, work-life, and everyday encounters. As much as you take good care of your physical body by eating nutritious food and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, it’s also essential to check your mental status to achieve optimum health.
In this post, you’ll learn the important benefits of checking your mental health, so you can make the right choices when it comes to preventive measures, diagnosis, and treatment.
Prevent Major Depression
According to the 2009 report of the Institute of Medicine or IOM, mental health disorders can be prevented disorders, including major depression. Depression is a dark stage in a person’s mental health, in which the mood or emotion becomes sad and demoralized.
Depression becomes a disorder as the duration and signs, and symptoms increase, leading to Major Depressive Episodes or MDE until it progresses to Major Depressive Disorder or MDD. That’s why assessment of your mental health is a trusted mental health treatment center at Jacksonhousecares.com is a must, at least once a year.
Here are other helpful tips to help prevent major depression:
- Keep Clinical Threshold Below: Depressive signs and symptoms should be managed and kept below the clinical threshold. It only means that the duration, frequency, and intensity of depressive signs and symptoms must be reduced. That’s why the preliminary work involved in the prevention of depression would include focusing on the prevention or reduction of clinical signs and symptoms.
- Delay Onset of Clinical Depression: Prevent depression during the key develop mental stages, such as preventing or delaying depression during adolescence, thereby promoting good pre-morbid functioning. At least, if MDE occurs in the early 30s, the individual has already completed higher education and gained employment.
Diagnose Psychiatric Disorders Early
Early diagnosis is paramount to reversible psychiatric problems. The more you neglect seeking medical attention, the higher the possibility of suffering from irreversible psychiatric disorders, such as schizophrenia, as evidenced by hallucinations, delusions, and impaired sound reasoning.
Make Smarter Life Decisions
A person’s emotional and mental status can significantly affect decision-making. Every day, people need to make small and big decisions at work, family life, and even in social and spiritual aspects. Making a decision when you’re not mentally healthy can lead to a major disaster, and wrong decisions may transform your life in a 360-degree angle.
The worst thing is you won’t be able to turn back time, and you end up blaming yourself or regretting a bad decision, making you more anxious and depressed. Seeking consultation from a mental health expert is important to ensure that you make sound decisions based on objective and logical reasoning. For one thing, inability or difficulty to make decisions can be a sign of mental illness.
Learn How to Face Problems Healthily
Problems, whether a minor issue or a big deal, can be stressful and affect your mental health. A psychologist or psychiatrist can help you find healthy ways to recover from stressful situations, so you can freely express your thoughts and emotions in positive ways.
Here are some examples of therapies and interventions that a mental health professional can provide:
- Group Therapy: Sharing your feelings and experiences in a group can help lighten the burden of your problem because you know that there are people who can relate to you since they also have the same problem as yours.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: By determining the logical reasons behind every action is crucial in cognitive behavioral therapy at betterhelp.com. It’s one way of knowing what’s socially acceptable and what actions can hurt yourself and other people around you.
- One-on-one Counseling: Checking your mental health should include face-to-face interaction with a psychologist or psychiatrist, the best person who can assess your mental health status, and provide appropriate medical interventions as needed.
Vital to Contentment and Happiness
Not knowing what’s exactly happening to you can be a source of stress and anxiety, impeding satisfaction, and happiness. Gain peace of mind by undergoing psychiatric evaluation. A mental health professional can help you discuss all the aspects of your mental health that is bothering you.
By identifying your psychological strengths and weaknesses and determining normal from deviated feelings, you’ll be more confident to face life’s challenges. You’ll be helped in developing positive coping mechanisms instead of substance abuse, smoking, or overeating.
Checking your mental health should be regularly carried out to avoid major depression and other psychological disorders. Also, it helps you make sound decisions that you won’t regret at the end. Of course, the most important thing is that you’ll have peace of mind, which is the key to contentment and happiness.