E-cigarettes are a Chinese invention which has been introduced in the USA in 2008. It is a type of tobaccoless cigarette. Recent years, this product has got the infancy of many customers. So let’s see the pros and cons of E-cigarettes to understand why it’s so much in the hype.
- The main pro for e-cigarette is that it does not have tobacco or other toxic chemicals such as tar that is known to be present in cigarette smoke. Since these harmful chemicals are not there, the risk of lung cancer, heart diseases are very less.
- The product contains nicotine, and it may come in various strengths. E-cigarettes are not sold or regulated as a smoke avoiding tool. Users have the option to get nicotine cartridges that are of different concentrations ranging from no nicotine to 6 mg to 16 mg. This helps the e-cigarette smokers to reduce nicotine consumption while enjoying the physical sensation of smoke. Many customers have experienced a reduction of nicotine withdrawal symptoms such as irritability, fatigue, depression and increased hunger.
People with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease can make use of e-cigarettes for pain relief. COPD is a chronic disease that has led to the death of a lot of people. 85 to 90% of people with the disease got it because of smoking. Since they cannot give up smoking, e-cigarettes are an effective way to reduce their smoking habit while giving them the pleasure of smoking.
- VIP E-cigarettes are cost effective than normal cigarettes. The starter kit also costs less. E-cigarettes with 5 pack cartridge costs between $10 to $12. Regular cigarettes cost more than that of e-cigarettes.
- There is no second-hand smoke when it comes to e-cigarettes. It produces only vapor and no odor or ashes. Hence these cigarettes can be used in normal places such as restaurants, bars, and office buildings. It can also be used in the home making it safer around children and other family members to breathe.
- In some cases, people smoking e-cigarettes reports that they feel healthier than typical cigarette smokers. They have better breathing patterns and have more energy come to regular smokers.
- Health studies on e-cigarettes are not much. There is no evidence of long-term studies since it is a new product. Some people say that people do not know whether they are putting themselves in more danger of long-term health issues and side effects because of the new chemicals in the lungs.
- Nicotine is an addictive substance. It can cause addiction for children and teens in the family for a lifetime if they are not careful. Nicotine can raise blood pressure and constrict blood flow. Nicotine can convert into a carcinogen.
- There are no regulations on the manufacturing, distribution, and marketing of the product. For tobacco products, there are public health standards. But for e-cigarettes, it is not there.
- Since there are no federal restrictions, youngsters and teenagers can use e-cigarettes as an entry point towards smoking.
- Instead of preventing smoking, it may cause dual use causing smokers to use e-cigarettes in public places and regular cigarettes in private. In that case, the incentive quitting smoking is gone.
After weighing the pros and cons, one can choose whether or not to use E-cigarettes.