You’ve grown up to have buck teeth. You’ve been bullied since you were young and now that you’re old enough, you’re thinking of getting dental braces for your teeth. You think that this will gradually bring back your confidence and will allow you to mingle with more people comfortably. But aside from correcting your buck teeth, you still think if braces are indeed important in some cases. Does this costly procedure do more than just correct dental imperfections? Well, actually, it does.
Braces are not just an accessory for other people to think that you’re cool or you can afford a new status symbol. Braces are so important in some cases that people are willing to exhaust time, effort and resources just so they can have one. If you still can’t see the clear pictures, here are some of the reasons why braces are so important in some cases:
- It improves oral health: Mouths with overcrowded or crooked teeth can offer bacteria crevices and corners to breed. Since teeth don’t have any spaces in between, it’ll be easier for bacteria to live and multiply inside your mouth. And if this condition is not treated over time, you’ll have greater chances of tooth decay and periodontal disease. This means that your gums would bleed too often and you’d be experiencing gingivitis – and all of these things aren’t good news for your oral health, right? With braces, your teeth will be moved to the proper places which allow you to clean your teeth more efficiently. You’ll have better oral health once your teeth are cleaned well!
- It properly aligns TMJ: The temporomandibular joint or TMJ is jaw joint which requires a properly functioning lower jaw to remain healthy. If your jaws are not aligned properly, it’ll cause severe discomfort and could even lead to a TMJ disorder. You’ll have difficulty in chewing, aching pain in and around your ear, and even aching facial pain. All of these things will significantly affect your daily routines one way or another. But braces can be the solution to avoid TMJ disorders. Braces realign the lower jaw to alleviate any jaw problems.
- It can provide ease of speaking and chewing: It’s difficult to speak and chew when your teeth are always rubbing against your gums. With braces, your teeth and jaws will be enhanced so these two can work with you, not against you. Orthodontic treatment will result in easier speech and jaw movement, which will keep you from biting your cheeks and tongue. Speaking and chewing will become a breeze for you!
- It can improve your bite: When you have misaligned teeth, chewing and eating can become a burden for you. It’ll take you so much time and effort just to ensure that you’ll be able to bite and chew your food successfully. You’d be required to put so much stress on your jaws and jaw points to get the job done. And if you don’t take the time to have your misaligned teeth to be treated, you can experience its long-term effects namely severe jaw pain, headaches and you’d also be prone to locked jaw syndrome. But you won’t have to experience any of these once you have braces on. Braces can actually help you achieve a better and balanced bite. You’ll now be able to bite and chew easily without feeling any discomfort in the process.
- It can enhance your digestive health: When chewing and biting is too hard for you, you’d end up swallowing foods which are improperly chewed or are not broken down into tiny pieces. You’d rather do this than torture yourself with the pain you get from chewing and biting. But doing this may result in indigestion problems and bowel movement complications. You can stray away from going towards that direction with braces.
- It can replace dentures: Many people would believe that when you have misaligned or buck teeth, you would need to replace all of your teeth with dentures just to have that perfect smile. But they’re wrong because you can now opt to have braces instead of using dentures. Braces can correct any dental misaligned without losing any of your original teeth. You’ll be able to have that perfect smile with your own teeth – how cool is that?
- It can bring back your confidence: When you have buck teeth all your life, smiling to strangers and even to your friends might not come off easy for you. You might be too conscious about how your smile would look like that’s why you never bother to show your teeth while your smile. But things will change for the better once your smile is corrected with braces. Braces can solve your insecurities and all other self-esteem related issues. Yes, this might sound a bit cliché, but braces can help improve your smile and improve your confidence in the long run.
Braces are important in more ways than one. It can bring a lot of benefits to the user, and if you’re thinking of getting one on your own, you can also experience all of these things. You should also keep in mind that wearing braces needs a certain amount of adjustment from you, and if you’re curious about how these may affect specific aspects of your life, you can click here for more information. The routines you’re comfortable with doing, such as eating and drinking might become difficult once you have your braces on especially during the first month of wearing it. But how braces can benefit you in the long run, can serve as your motivation to continually wear it!
Gregory Tan is always all-ears when it comes to his reader’s concerns, and as a writer he shares his passion on health to his readers through his pieces. He always strives to add a creative spin to his articles, which he hopes would be beneficial to his reader’s interests. He loves playing chess, especially with his peers.
Latest posts by Piya C (see all)
- List of Famous Indian Celebrities Died in 2017-2018 (UPDATED) - July 18, 2018
- How to Keep Your Mind And Body in Shape Once You’ve Retired - July 16, 2018
- How Can Online Therapy Help you in Depression? - July 16, 2018