Baba Ramdev or swami Ramdev is popular for his massive yoga camps and promoting yoga throughout the country. He used to teach yoga free of cost while living in Kalwa Gurukul in Haryana state, but gained a huge fan following after a Television channel “Aashta TV” has featured him on his morning yoga slot in 2003. Since then he has been featured in many TV shows and interviews on yoga practice. He has also launched a set of DVDs for his followers and yoga practitioners in order to provide better and genuine information on yogic approach. The USP of his DVDs is that they focus on curing one or couple of ailments through yoga.
Baba Ramdev’s collection of DVDs includes the following programs:
- Pranayam Yoga Science DVD
- Yoga DVD for beginners of all ages
- Yoga DVD for diabetes
- Yoga DVD for asthma
- Yoga DVD for spinal cord
- Yoga DVD for eye problems
- Yoga DVD for cancer
- Yoga DVD for children
- Yoga DVD for childless couple
- Yoga DVD for various ailments
- Yoga DVD for lifestyle
- Yoga DVD for muscular dystrophy
- Yoga DVD for weight loss
- Yoga DVD for women
- Yoga DVD for high BP
- Yoga DVD for Parkinson and Paralysis
- Yoga DVD for Skin diseases
- Yoga DVD for youth
Here we are going to discuss about the first DVD program in the above collection. The first DVD program is based on Pranayam and asana. Pranayam is also known as the fourth limb of yoga and it comes after the asana. Pranayam or the process of controlling Prana (breath, respiration, life, vitality, wind, energy and strength) with Yama (discipline or restraint) helps in controlling your mind which results into enhanced memory and concentration. It is very significant in yoga practices because yoga asanas or posture is always performed in accordance with the breathing or Pranayam. Therefore, a DVD program from a famous and reliable yoga practitioner on Pranayam is a best gift for yoga lovers.
Let’s have an overview of the features of Swami Ramdev’s Yog Science DVD program.
- This program is available in two soundtracks that are Hindi and English.
- Two different sessions focusing on Pranayam and asanas.
- Good for beginners since it contains basic poses for different body parts such as spine, arms etc.
- Detail description of the health benefits of the poses and breathing techniques.
- Live demonstration of breathing technique over line illustrations from a book or still pictures.
- Also includes “Pawanmuktasana Series”, an effective yoga technique, but is not generally found in standard yoga books.
- Very effective content throughout the program.
- The production quality is low as compared to its contemporary counterparts.
- The translator gets desynchronized sometimes with the model during the asanas.
- Pranayam which is performed with mantra or focusing on certain body parts has not been included in this edition.
This DVD program comes with a 130 minute runtime and divided into two parts. The first part deals with the asanas and the other half is devoted to Pranayam. The techniques are well demonstrated and explained by the instructor and you can get noticeable results with regular practice of these poses and breathing techniques within short span of time. This program comes with two sound tracks, English and Hindi. Since swami Ramdev doesn’t speak English therefore all the poses are translated in English language for better understanding.
This DVD program is a very nice option for learning basics of the Pranayam, its benefits and other asanas. It has included seven important Pranayam techniques which are Bhastrika, Kapalbhati, Vahya, Agnisar, Anulom-Vilom, Brahmari and Udgeet along with Ujjayi, Sheetali, Seetkari methods of Pranayam and other important practices. The asanas in this program focus on treating various ailments and improve the growth and stamina of the body. It also includes special asanas for children and teaches about the correct way of doing sun salutation. It can be considered as a nice video for beginners due to its basic features.
Latest posts by Piya C (see all)
- What is Calcium? - August 16, 2017
- Breastfeeding in Public: Need of a Child or an Act of Vulgarity? - August 14, 2017
- Teen or Time to be “no more virgin” - August 13, 2017