How to Stop Dandruff Naturally – Dandruff could create an embarrassing situation for you. You cannot wear dark colors like black, blue, grey and brown because dandruff ruins the grace of your dress; it becomes more embarrassing when somebody points out that you have white flak. Though more common in winters due to dryness, some people battle dandruff in every season. You might have spent thousands of rupees on artificial anti-dandruff treatments, but we are sure that they have never been successful enough to deal with your condition.
What if we tell some highly effective home remedies treatment to get permanent respite from dandruff ? If you don’t have to spend a lot of money on chemical-laden anti-dandruff solutions, still you can stop dandruff permanently? Have you ever imagined that stop dandruff fast naturally would be possible while sitting at your home? If your answers for these questions are in negative, you will be surprised to know that it is easy to deal with dandruff.
Grab these natural cure tips for dandruff and get relief at the earliest:
Natural Cure 1: Kill the worst enemy you have- Stress!
We certainly know that it is easier said than done, but try to keep yourself away from stressful situations. In many scenarios, it might not be able to not get stressed, but try deal with it in healthy ways or it could be harmful for your entire health. The most common effect of stress is that you start losing hair and dandruff finds a permanent home in your head! In order to control its repercussions, eat healthy. Include nuts and the vitamin-rich items in your diet. Cut down your intake of sugary, oily food which includes junk/fast food and see how it helps you deal with your stop dandruff forever and other hair problems.
Natural Cure 2: Use the natural anti-fungal element- Vinegar
Before you try this method, you must understand the primary reason of dandruff. Dandruff occurs when the skin cells mature too fast and die equally fast. You can never get respite from the itchy flaky scalp, if you have failed to address the root problem of dandruff. Using vinegar (especially white and Apple Cider vinegar) can help you control dandruff and finish its primary cause. Vinegar naturally removes the unwanted, dead skin which turns into dandruff and moreover, it would stop it from clogging your skin pores and aggravate your condition. Also excessive growth of fungus too leads to dandruff. With anti-fungal properties, vinegar for dandruff treatment proves effective. You just have to rinse your hair with vinegar mixed in water and repeat this process frequently to get rid of the dandruff at the earliest. To stop dandruff without shampoo, use vinegar , it doesn’t include chemicals thus is more gentle on your hair.
How to use vinegar for dandruff treatment – directions to use it:
- For rinsing your hair using this method, you would need equal quantity of water and vinegar mixed in a cup. The water should be warm. The total amount of the mixture depends on the length and thickness of your locks.
- Pour it on your head.
- Now using your fingertips scrub it gently on your scalp and hair for a few minutes.
- Use plain water to wash it off.
The only problem with washing your hair with vinegar is its strong, pungent smell. To deal with this, wash your vinegar-treated tresses next morning using a mild, herbal shampoo. The smell would vanish with one wash. If you have severe dandruff problem, then you can conveniently repeat this exercise thrice in a week until your condition is not relieved.
Natural Cure 3: Use coconut oil
Use Coconut oil for dandruff treatment because it has anti-fungal properties and is a natural moisturiser as well. While it helps in controlling the occurrence of dandruff, it also provides relief from itching by providing moisture to your dry scalp. For better results, you can add a few drops of lemon oil in the hot coconut oil and then apply it on your scalp.
Directions to use it:
- With your fingertips, gently massage coconut oil (lemon juice mixed) on your scalp for a few minutes and cover the entire hair length
- Leave it on your hair for 40 minutes
- Now use a mild shampoo to wash it off
- For instant relief, repeat this process two times in a week.
Natural Cure 4: From the kitchen- Baking Soda
Baking soda for dandruff treatment is highly effective home remedy, it is a mild exfoliant thus it absorbs excess oil of your skin and helps in eliminating dead skin cells. It fight off fungal and takes care of the scalp by balancing pH levels. The baking soda has to be applied directly on your skin to get good results.
Directions to use it:
- Wet your tresses properly.
- Now take a handful of baking soda to rub on your scalp.
- Rub it gently for 2-3 minutes
- Rinse your hair properly using warm water.
- Do not apply shampoo.
- For faster results, repeat the process at least two times in a week.
Natural Cure 5: Use Neem
The white flakes could be removed using the magical plant neem. One of the traditional home remedies, neem has medicinal properties; it prevents the growth of fungus and provides relief from your dandruff woes. You can also prepare a homemade neem pack for excellent results. For preparing the pack, you would require:
- 1/4 cup of coconut milk and beetroot juice
- 1/2 cup of neem juice
- A few drops of coconut oil
Directions to use it:
- Now mix all the ingredients.
- Use the mixture to massage your flaky scalp.
- After 20-30 minutes, use a herbal shampoo and a conditioner to wash it off.
- Repeat the neem treatment once in a week for a few weeks to control dandruff.
Natural Cure 6: Use Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera treatment for hair loss – Another potent way of fighting off dandruff in the most natural manner is using Aloe Vera gel on your hair. An anti-fungal plant, it curbs the fungal growth, provides relief from itching and dry scalp. Do not mix any other component with Aloe Vera, it is enough to benefit your hair. How to stop dandruff with Aloe Vera treatment– You will need five tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel. If you have access to the Aloe Vera plant, then scoop outs its gel or otherwise you can use the gel bottles available at the chemist stores.
Before you massage it on your head, make sure your hair aren’t oily. Now massage it on your scalp and let it be there for half an hour. Use plain water to wash it off your hair. The next morning you can use a mild shampoo. Those who have dry hair and are troubled with white flaks can repeat this process for two times within a week; it is simple and just require 45-60 minutes of your time.
Natural Cure 7: The banana-vinegar mixture
The Vinegar which is easily available in your kitchen is more useful than you might have thought of! When mixed with banana and Vinegar, it is highly effective in fighting off those ugly, itchy dandruff. Here is how you can make this powerful anti-fungal mixture within a few minutes:
- Take two cups full of vinegar.
- Now peel a whole banana and mash it properly. There should not be lumps.
- Stir until properly mixed. Use a fork to whisk it completely.
- Apply this effective mixture on your hair, cover the entire length. You may also massage on your scalp.
- Continue massaging your scalp for at least five minutes until it moisturises the dry skin.
- You can keep the mixture for twenty minutes to an hour.
- Rinse it off using plain hot water and then use a herbal shampoo and conditioner.
- This preventative method can be used on a daily basis. But if you are short of time, try it at least three times in a week.
Natural Cure 8: Use egg oil
Egg Oil, also known Eyova, is an effective and a smell-free solution to get rid of dandruff. It is a better alternative to using egg yolk which leaves behind a strong smell. Plus it does not have any risk of salmonella thus will not trigger any kind of infection. This egg oil contains:
- Long chain polyunsaturated Omega-3 fatty acids such as Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA): These are good for the revitalisation of the follicle cells.
- It also has cholesterol which could make your shiny along with preventing or treating dandruff.
How to use egg oil for dandruff – The egg oil has to be massaged on your scalp followed by covering your hair length and volume. Leave it overnight and then use a herbal shampoo to wash it off. Chemical-laden hair products such as hair wash gel or conditioner make your scalp dry and thus dandruff can occur again. Therefore, it is advisable that you use shampoos made of natural ingredients. For visible results, make sure that you keep repeating this treatment for 12 weeks at a stretch.
Natural Cure 9: Coconut and honey hair mask
Prepare scalp rub; it would include the following ingredients to be mixed together:
- Coconut Oil
- Olive Oil
The ratio of using these ingredients are 2:2:3:2. The mixture should be semi-liquid in consistency. It should be smooth but should not run off your hair. If it is excessively liquid then add fresh, solid yoghurt and honey. It will be thickened and easy to apply on your head.
Now the mixture of coconut oil and honey for dandruff has to be massaged on your scalp. From your roots to the tip of the strands, you need to cover the length entirely. Keep on massaging it for ten minutes. It will promote blood circulation to your head and would clean the skin pores by removing the dead skin cells. And it is relaxing as well!
Let the mixture stay on from 20 minutes. This preventive method could be used in rainy season as well when it is highly humid. You can steam your hair to help the rub set in properly. In case you do not own a steamer, a hot bath would serve the purpose in a similar way. If you do not wish to even take a hot bath, then just let it stay for a little longer- at least 30 to 45 minutes. Once you have waited for long, it is time for a shampoo. Use a herbal shampoo and then wash your hair twice to get every strain clean. But don’t apply shampoo for more than a couple of minutes. This could again make your scalp devoid of moisture and dryness would set in. If you are using conditioner, then use it just on the tips.
If you wish to style your hair after this treatment and might be using a hair dryer, then keep it on a low setting. Excessive heat could mean damage to your scalp and flak might reappear due to dryness. Heat should not come in direct contact with your scalp. The use of a blow dryer should be mild and for a small period of time. If possible, use a hair straightener machine rather than using a dryer.
For bringing shine to your tresses, take just five to seven drops of coconut oil (depending on your length and thickness) and rub it with both of your hands. Now run down your palms through your long locks. Cover your entire head to manage your hair well.
Natural Cure 10: Another powerful anti-dandruff ingredient from your kitchen- fenugreek
Commonly known as methi in Indian households, it is a popular spice used extensively in Indian recipes. Fenugreek has medicinal properties and is rich in amino acids and protein. Thus it helps in keeping your scalp healthy as well as promote hair growth. It is significantly effective in warding off dandruff. Plus methi also have lecithin, a natural element, which makes the hair stronger and smooth while also removing dandruff.
To use fenugreek for removal of dandruff, take two tablespoons of its seeds and soak them overnight. Now drain the water and grind the soaked seeds to make a fine paste. Massage your scalp with your fingertips. Let it stay on your head for 45 minutes and then wash it off using a mild shampoo, preferably using herbal hair wash gel. Carry out this treatment at least twice in a week, continue doing it for 10-12 weeks for excellent results.
The alternative anti-dandruff treatment: A medicated shampoo could help you great deal though this method is not a natural method of getting respite from dandruff, it is surely effective and may work wonders for you. If your flaky and itchy scalp is a regular occurrence, then using a medicated shampoo for treating severe dandruff makes great sense. There are large number of these shampoos available in the market. You can buy one over the counter as well, however, it is not certain that it will work for you.
If a particular brand doesn’t work, you may try another one. Usually, various ingredients are put together to make an anti-dandruff shampoo; if one ingredient fails to improve your situation, other might prove effective. For better results, it is advisable that you discuss your condition with a skin and hair specialist and then buy a medicated shampoo to get rid of dandruff.
- Best Hair Shampoos for Hair Growth Men/Women [USA]
- Best Hair Shampoos for Hair Growth Men/Women [India]
Here are some more tips that can work in your favour when trying to get rid of dandruff:
- Try not to scratch your head when the scalp has become itchy due to white flaks. This further aggravates your condition and might result in soreness. In return, it will lead to more dandruff. For promoting good scalp health, you can massage tea tree oil on your scalp after every wash. This will keep your scalp moisturised.
- Never use somebody’s else hairbrush. Keep your single one and after every two-three days, clean it using vinegar.
- To comb away the flaks, use a small tooth comb. For better results, sprinkle baby powder on your scalp. It will easily remove the dandruff while combing your hair.
- Lemon juice when added to your normal shampoo could lessen its effects on your scalp. It would be less dry and thus less dandruff.
- Anti-dandruff shampoos are not meant to be used on a regular basis, they suppress the natural oils. This leads to dandruff. Also you must note that when you stop using anti-dandruff shampoos after a regular use, the comeback of dandruff might be more severe and harder to deal with.
- You may also purchase over-the-counter dandruff grease from drugstore to keep its production under control.
Some more hair care tips are given here:
Conclusion and important advice:
Last but not the least, when following any of the above mentioned home remedies to prevent dandruff or treat it, make sure you are not allergic to any of the ingredients used in them. If you are allergic, then avoid using that particular anti-dandruff treatment.
Also one must understand that persistent dandruff which doesn’t go away after trying any of the above methods and it is getting severe with each passing day, then you might be suffering from scalp psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis. Both these conditions require medical treatment and thus you should visit a dermatologist before any further delay.
Latest posts by Piya C (see all)
- How To Become A Skincare Entrepreneur Using Onoxa - July 23, 2017
- Man Gave Birth to Baby Girl – Traditional vs Modern Parenting - July 22, 2017
- How Do Green Tea, Lemon Tea, And Fit Tea Differ? - July 19, 2017