Have you ever wondered that exercise can have a fun element? The answer is yes, it can have just in case of jumping, your favorite activity of childhood. Simple jumping, jumping on a trampoline or jumping on ropes is very beneficial to your body in the context of the fitness.
Why choose Jumping/skipping over other exercises
- Jumping or skipping involves 40 percent activity contribution from upper body and 60 percent of the lower body and your body need not be clenched or extended.
- By involving your arms as in skipping you can cover almost all the major muscle groups of the body like biceps, triceps, deltoids, glutes, quadriceps etc.
- This practice leaves have low impact on the joints like knees, hips and ankles while it has high impact on muscles, heart and lungs.
- You can burn more calories and engage more muscle groups by modifying the method of skipping as in case of cross over, side swings, pretzels etc. and thus give you a full body workout.
- Last but not the least; it is among the lowest budget exercises where you hardly spend more than twenty dollars for the workout equipment. The jumping rope is so portable that you can carry it anywhere and can be used by every family member of any age group.
What the stats say?
Calorie burning by rope jumping is governed by many factors like weight of person, effort level, speed, frequency of turns, etc. For example, 120 tons of skipping in a minute is equal to running at the speed of six miles per hour. If you are skipping slowly with a frequency of 60 – 80 turns per minute in a set of 10 minute session, then you can burn around 70 kcal if you are a female and 100 kcal in case of males. If you increase your pace and frequency to 80 – 120 turns every minute in a 10 minutes session then one can burn 110 kcal in case of females and 150 kcal in case of males. On the whole account, you can burn approximately 800 – 1000 kcal per hour. Now that is great!!!!
How it scales on the 3p’s parameter?
It scores ten on ten on the 3p’s parameter that is physically, physiologically and psychologically. Jumping or skipping affects the overall health of the body such as:
- Melt away the fat deposits of the body.
- Tone up all the muscles, especially of thighs, hips, calves and glutes.
Improve cardiovascular system
- It does affect the circulation of blood in the body, but also enhance the circulation of lymph or tissue fluid into and around the cells 15 – 30 times more as compared to the normal condition.
- It prevents the cardiovascular problems by normalizing the blood pressure, lowering down the levels of cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Boost up the production of red blood cells by increasing the activity of red bone marrow.
- It improves the oxygen holding capacity of the lungs.
Improves bone health
- Increase bone density, which makes them strong and lengthens them as well.
- It gives flexibility and stability to the skeletal system of the body and thus prevents arthritis and osteoporosis.
- It makes you focus, rectifies posture, and enhances coordination and balance.
Tone up the endocrine system
- It stimulates the synthesis of insulin and thus maintains a normal blood sugar level.
- Increase the growth hormone and thus helps in weight gain.
Other physiological effects
- It improves the digestion and elimination process.
- It detoxifies the body.
- Boost up the metabolism.
- Gives you relief from menstrual discomfort and joint pains.
Enhance mental performance
- Increase your attention span.
- Increase your mental skills with better concentration.
- Sharpen up your learning skills.
- Reduce stress by stimulating the synthesis of serotonin or feel good hormone in the body and thus fight off depression.
Latest posts by sumit chopra (see all)
- Top Healthy Work Habits to Follow Daily - January 15, 2017
- Drive Obesity away and Get a Cutting Body within Weeks - January 15, 2017
- Honeymoon Ideas -10 Romantic Things Every Couple Must Do - January 11, 2017