The monsoon or rainy season brings relief as well as risks of hair and skin infection. Due to increased humidity the scalp and hair attract more dirt and pollutants which makes the hair dirty and results into heavy hair fall and other hair related problems. But you can prevent such conditions by following these five simple and effective hair care tips.
Clean your hair
Since the rainy season adds up more dust and dirt to your scalp therefore the first thing you should do is to clean your hairs regularly on a daily basis or on two days interval. If you get caught in a wind storm or heavy rainfall then wash your hairs immediately as soon as you reach home. It is because the rainwater has some acidic contents which causes hair related problems such as itchy scalp, brittle hair, dandruff, hair fall and damage the hair and scalp. Wash your hair with a mild shampoo or homemade shampoo to avoid chemicals. It also keeps your hair remain healthy and with volume. Always condition them after hair wash since humidity can make your hair frizzy and brittle. Rather using a chemical based conditioner you can use a vinegar rinse or massage your hair with oils like olive oil, almond oil, coconut oil before hair wash. Hot oil massage makes removing the itchiness and flakiness of your scalp while nourishing it. It is more beneficial when you do hot oil massage at night and leave it overnight.
Dry them properly
It is difficult to air dry your hairs in the monsoon weather due to increased humidity. You can use a hair dryer or dry it with a towel gently. If you think that combing the wet hairs can dry and untangle them easily, then put that thought aside. It will only harm your hair strands since wet hairs tend to tangle more and pulling can weaken the strands which leads to more hair fall. Use a wooden wide toothed comb to untangle your hair after it gets dried. If you don’t dry them thoroughly, then the dampness in the hairs causes the root hair rot which produces a foul smell.
Cover them up
Loose hairs can attract the dust and dirt more easily that is why try to cover them up with a scarf, cap or umbrella. The rain water can weaken the hair shaft causing more hair fall because it contains the air pollutants which comes down to the water. These chemicals give you an itchy scalp and dandruff sometimes. Covering your hair during wind storm and rain fall is the best solution to protect your hair. These accessories also enhance your fashionable look.
Avoid hair styling products
If you use hair styling products like gel, hair serum, etc. then try to avoid them because the chemical content of these products makes your hairs flat, greasy and attract more dirt from the atmosphere in these seasons which can cause infection, itchiness or dandruff to your scalp. Instead of wearing a new hairstyle try to look natural with comfortable hairstyles like ponytail, side bun or braid. The hairstyles which requires the hair bounded in a tight conformation weakens the hair shaft and cause more hair fall.
Hair mask treatment
A homemade hair mask nourishes your hair, gives strength to them, reduces the hair fall, add volume to your hair and make them manageable. It works on the total hair length that is from the roots of the hair and you should apply hair mask once a week and you can try these natural hair masks
- Aloe Vera mask – This mask has medicinal properties which will cure any infection of your scalp, removes itchiness and makes your hair soft and shiny.
- Mayonnaise mask – This is a protein rich hair mask and nourishes your entire hair length. It makes your hair soft, strong and shiny.
- Mixed oil mask – This mask contains different types of oils like olive oil, almond oil and Vitamin E. It will nourish the hair roots, scalp and the shaft which makes them strong and gives a lustrous texture.
- Apple cider vinegar mask – Vinegar has an acidic nature which clean off excess oils and any chemical residue or pollutant from your scalp. You can add lemon juice and water to it and rub it on your scalp. Leave it for 30 minutes and rinse it off with cold water.
- Cold tea or beer mask – Both of them acts as a good conditioner to the hairs. It gives an extra bounce and shine to your hair.
- Mint-Mango mask – Apply a hair mask made from mango pulp and mint paste on your scalp. Massage it gently throughout your hair length and leave it for 15-20 minutes. It will make your hair smooth and shiny.
- Banana honey mask – Prepare a hair mask with 3 mashed bananas and honey. This mask hydrates your hair as well as nourishes it, to give them a soft and lustrous texture.
- Mint hair mask – It is for oily hairs and you can apply it on your scalp for 20 minutes and rinse it off with cold water. It will provide nourishment and removes the extra oil from your hair.
Some other useful tips:
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat healthy and nutrient rich food, especially proteins
- Avoid sharing of combs
- Massage the scalp with hot oil at least once a week
- Don’t style your hair in wet condition
- Avoid going outside during rain and wind storm
- Don’t take stress as it increases hair fall
- Go for short hairs if it becomes unmanageable
- Keep a homemade hair spray to moisturize your hair anytime and anywhere
If your hair falls or scalp infection persists, then consult the trichologist as soon as possible. Remember, our outer body is the projection of your internal environment which is reflected by our skin and hairs. So if you find your hairs limp and lifeless consistently then it’s a high time to see a medical professional.
Latest posts by Piya C (see all)
- With KENT Give the Gift of Health to Your Loved Ones This Festive Season - October 16, 2017
- Should You Invest in Medical Alert Systems? - October 16, 2017
- 5 Ketogenic Supplements to Consider - October 16, 2017