Boron is a vital mineral which helps in normal growth of the body. Boric acid is another form of Boron which has several health benefits. Many conditions like cancer, osteoporosis, and arthritis are managed by boron. It helps in building strong bones and muscles, increasing testosterone level, reducing menopausal symptoms, improving thinking skills and more.
What are the health benefits of Boron?
- It improves bone health.
- It is anti-inflammatory and helps to treat conditions like arthritis.
- It fights cancer and reduces the size of tumors.
- It helps in increasing free testosterone.
- It treats yeast infections in Vagina.
- It improves estrogen production.
What are the sources of Boron?
The prominent sources of boron are the fruits, vegetable, tubers, and water. It is also used in many industrial products.
Here are some of the good sources of Boron:
- Ground Cinnamon
- Grape Juice
- Flaked onions
- Apple Juice and Sauce
Products with lesser boron content:
- Cheese and Dairy products excluding Ice Cream
What are the popular boron supplements?
- NOW Boron 3 mg,250 Capsules ($8.70)
- Pure Encapsulations – Boron (Glycinate) – 60 Capsules ($10.00)
- Trace Minerals Liquid Ionic Boron, 6mg, 2 oz ($11.98)
- Vibrant Health – Super Natural Boron60 count (FFP) ($9.45)
- Nature’s Way Boron Complex, 100 Capsules ($11.89)
What dosage of supplement should you take?
For oral intake:
- Lowest active Boron supplement dose: 3mg/day
- For Osteoarthritis patients: 6mg/day
- For young people: 10mg/day
- Maximum dose or the Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) for adults over 19 years of age: 20mg/day
- UL for adolescents (14 to 18 years old) : 17mg/day
- UL for children (9 to 13 years old):11mg/day.
- UL for children (4 to 8 years old) : 6mg/day
- UL for children (1 to 3 years old) : 3 mg/day
- For preventing yeast infections: 600mg twice a week
- For treating Vaginal infections: 600mg once or twice a day
What are the safety concerns for the use of boron supplement?
- Boron is safe for all age group if the intake level is less than the Upper Tolerable Limit (UL) as mentioned above.
- Boric acid is safe for vaginal use until six months. Overuse can cause vaginal burning.
- Over dose of Boron can cause poisoning. Some of the signs of poisoning include skin irritability, inflammation, and peeling, weakness, headaches, tremors, vomiting, convulsions and more.
- Over use of boric acid powder for diaper rash is unsafe.
- Boron shouldn’t be taken if the person has kidney diseases.
- For pregnant and nursing women:-
- For 19-50 years of age: Boron is safe if the dosage is less than 20mg/day
- For 14-18 years of age: Boron is safe is the dosage is less than 17mg/day.
- Higher dose intake is linked to birth defects and miscarriage.
- For normal women:
Boron intake should be avoided in conditions which can worsen due to estrogen increase. Some of the hormone-sensitive conditions are:
- Breast cancer
- Uterine cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Uterine fibroid
Latest posts by Piya C (see all)
- What are the Health Benefits of Owning a Pet? - June 9, 2018
- How to Ensure Your Personal Health and Well-Being Stays a Top Priority WhileAttending Acting School - June 9, 2018
- Living with an Ostomy - June 9, 2018