Since the ancient times, one thing which has not changed about the female gender is the concern about her beauty. This positive obsession has encouraged many discoveries and inventions in the field of cosmetics which we can see in form of several beauty tools and products. But all these new additions in cosmetics couldn’t replace the charm of natural product ever.
Coconut oil is one such versatile natural product which has been extensively used by the humans (both genders) for various purposes such as edible oil, hair oil and as skin care product. You must be wondering that how one single product can be used in several forms. here we will discuss the features of this amazing gift from nature and how you can get the benefits from it
What is in coconut oil?
Curious to know how coconut oil caters to your different needs? Let’s check it out on atomic level to see what are the magical components it has.
- Saturated Fats – Well fats are not always bad and make you fat. The medium chain fatty acids or triglycerides makes your skin smooth and locks the moisture in your skin which generally escapes through the pores. Regular consumption of this oil will deposit these fats under your skin making it healthy, smooth, even tone and reduce appearance of pores.
- Capric /Caprylic/Lauric acid – These three fatty acids gives the antimicrobial property to coconut oil and make it a strong disinfectant. Its topical use inhibit microbial action on open wounds and skin pores while its consumption increases the immunity as these acids get converted into monocaprins and monolaurins. In addition, these acids can break down into simple forms to provide energy when required. Thus, it helps in boosting your energy level if taken before the workout and assist in weight loss management.
- Vitamin E – No one can deny the benefits of this vitamin for healthy skin and hair. It makes your skin smooth, prevent cracking, promote new cell growth and repair the wear and tears of the skin. Coconut oil has approx 0.1 mg of vitamin E which makes it a rich source of this vitamin. This nutrient nourishes the skin making it firm, preventing wrinkles and premature aging.
- Proteins – Coconut oil is a rich source of several proteins which helps in tissue repairing, cellular health and regeneration which makes your skin healthy and supple internally as well as externally.
Skincare benefits of coconut oil
Till now, you must have understood that this oil is a rich source of nourishment not just for the skin but for the whole body. When the body remains healthy from inside, it reflect the results on the skin on form of a youthful glow.
Here are some skincare benefits of this amazing oil:
Moisturizing and anti-aging effect
Coconut oil is a great moisturizer and suits almost to all skin types. You can apply it on your skin after bath to nourish your skin and lock the moisture. The medium size fatty acid helps strengthening the connective tissues beneath the skin and thus making it firm, removing wrinkles and age spots. You can also apply it on your hard and cracked feet to make it soft.
It can be used as a makeup remover to remove the make up from eyes and face without worrying about the harmful chemicals of synthetic removers going into your eyes. Coconut oil works well on delicate and sensitive areas without causing any problem.
Treat skin disorders
Its disinfectant and antimicrobial properties helps in treatment of several skin disorders like athlete’s foot, jock itch, ringworm, rashes, acne, psoriasis, and eczema. It fight off the microbes and promote the new cell growth to replace the sick and dead skin cells. It also has antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties which helps in treating bruises, bug bites, burns, allergies and many more skin problems.
Coconut oil can be used as a body scrub or exfoliant which will fulfill all your requirements of a face wash, exfoliator, eye make-up remover, and moisturizer. Your skin will become much better in terms of look, feel and smell than before and you can save money of course. You can make this scrub at home by mixing 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1 tablespoon citrus fruit zest (optional) and 1/2 teaspoon of citrus essential oil (optional). To use it on your face, massage it on your face for 30 seconds, rinse it and pat dry your skin. You can use it the same way on your hands, feet and legs.
For those, who have never used coconut oil ever in life, its application can be confusing. If you are one of them then you should buy a jar of coconut oil with wide opening if you live in colder climate as this oil tend to solidify under low temperature. You can take some solid coconut oil on your palm and rub it to melt. Apply it on your skin or affected area. If you live in warm climate then you can use the liquid coconut oil which comes in bottle. Don’t overuse it as your skin will absorb only a certain amount of it and the rest of the unabsorbed oil will make your skin look shiny or greasy. So use coconut oil properly and enjoy its benefits!!
Latest posts by Pearlp (see all)
- Top 5 Homemade Face Masks for a Glowing Skin - June 5, 2017
- 12 Resolutions Every Wed Couple Should Remind at their Valentine - May 4, 2017
- Skin Care Tips to Look Gorgeous in your 30s - April 24, 2017