Bromelain is a protease enzyme found in Pineapple and its fruit. Although, it is found in all parts of the plant its extract is more effective than using the whole part. It is commonly used for tenderizing meat and as a culinary ingredient. It has been used in folk medicines for a long time but very little scientific evidence are reported so far.
Benefits of Bromelain
- Helps in digestion and reduce inflammation
- Break down blood clot
- Removal of burned or dead tissue
- Reducing labor period during childbirth
- Treating gout and arthritis
- Reducing congestion and other sinus symptoms
- Helps in treatment and prevention of Urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Aids in treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Helps in prevention and treatment of cancer
How does it work?
It is a mixture of the proteolytic enzyme or protein digestive enzyme which breaks down the dead or damaged cells to remove it from the body. It also intervened the functioning of white blood cells to subside inflammation caused by them. It also decreases the adhesiveness of the blood platelets and thus breaks down blood clot. It slows down the growth of the cancerous cell.
How is it used?
Bromelain is extracted from the pineapple plant and sold in form of powder which can be used a kitchen ingredient and for other medicinal purposes. It can be consumed orally or used topically to remove dead cells from the body.
What are the side effects?
Some of the common side effects of Bromelain are
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Rashes and hives
- Swelling of lips, mouth, tongue or throat
- Difficulty in breathing
Serious side effects of Bromelain include
- Tachycardia or rapid heart rate
- Difficult to stop bleeding from cuts, bruises, and wounds
- Blood vomiting indicating gastrointestinal bleeding
- Black and tarry stool sometimes containing blood
- Weakness and numbness in limbs
- Severe headache
Latest posts by Piya C (see all)
- How to Increase Height After 18, 21 or 25 - December 27, 2017
- List of Indian Celebrities Who Got Married in 2017 [Updated] - December 27, 2017
- Top 30 All Time Trending Hairstyles of Bollywood Actresses - December 27, 2017