Collagen is a very important protein for the body as it helps in the maintaining the structural components of the cells and connective tissues like bones, cartilage, tendons, skin etc. It is also found in the gelatinous components of the body like the vitreous humor of the eye. As the aging process increases, the production of collagen in the body reduces and affects the body in several ways like:
- Wrinkles, fine lines
- Thin and shaggy skin, enlarged pores
- Dull, thin and brittle hair
- Receding gums, brittle nails
- Fatigue, Body ache, Joint pain and stiffness
- Lack of energy
Collagen provides strength and elastic properties to the different organs and tissues. The seventy five percent of our skin is made of this structural protein and it constitutes the twenty five percent of the total protein weight of the body. Since it is a part of tendons, ligaments, joints, muscles, hair, skin, and other vital organs therefore any reduction in level of the collagen directly affect these components of the body.
Besides being a structural protein, it also functions as a catalyst for growth and repairs all the body tissues. Lack of collagen during old age give rise to many age related diseases and the body get sick.
Normally, collagen production starts reducing around thirties and decreases abruptly near fifties but if the body is not able to utilize collagen properly then such condition can cause early aging in the body.
Although vitamin C rich fruits and vegetables are prime and natural sources of collagen but benefits of collagen supplements can help in easily meet your daily collagen requirements. But the problem is that there are various collagen supplements in the market mainly dietary and non dietary which can confuse you so you have to first decide that which part of the body you want to benefit.
The non dietary collagen is for outer use only and used for strengthening of skin, hair and nails while dietary collagen is used to enhance the quality of connective tissue, growth, repair and energy in the body.
There are mainly three types of dietary collagen found in market which are:
Type I Collagen
It is present in 90% of skin, hair, nails, organs, bone, ligaments and its benefits are:
- Improves skin texture and give firmness to it.
- Reduce the appearance of cellulite
- Helps in new hair and nail growth as well as improves the quality and strength
- Improve blood circulation by strengthening the blood vessels and improving their elasticity
Type II Collagen
Regular use of this supplement can help in
- Improving the flexibility and strength of joints and tendons
- Recovering from sports injury and increase muscle repair
- Reducing joint pain
Type III Collagen
It is found in muscles, intestinal walls, and blood vessels and closely associated with type I collagen. It helps in:
- Improving blood circulation
- Improving growth and repair
Other benefits of collagen supplements are
- Reduced appetite
- Reduction in age spots
- Light and bright skin
Although, many supplements are available in market which you can purchase easily with your own choice but we suggest you to take a professional advice before making a purchase. It will help you in avoiding ineffective products or products with side effects.
Latest posts by sumit chopra (see all)
- How to Get in the Best Shape of Your Life With a Smartwatch - October 13, 2016
- How To Maintain Healthy Eyes - October 13, 2016
- How To Lose Weight Faster - October 4, 2016