Rowing is a great exercise which has gained immense popularity among the gym goers and workout freaks people because of its effectiveness and low impact nature. It is also recommended by many physicians to build stamina without overstressing your body. If you are avoiding this workout because you don’t want to go to gym or spend money on big and heavy rowing machines then there are many rowing machines are available in the market which are portable and you can easily use them at your home without burning a hole in your pocket. Here we will discuss about the best five rowing machines for your home and some tips about how to choose the machine which fits your budget, living space and effectiveness before buying it.
Why use a rowing machine at home?
Rowing machine is not just a weight losing aid but it has various benefits and if you want to practice it regularly but could not take out time from your busy schedule to visit a gym then you must do it at home. You can also save your gym membership charges by buying a personal rowing machine. Let’s check out its benefits and then you decide if you need it or not at your home.
- It is effective for all age groups mean you and your whole family can get the benefits of this amazing exercise without paying extra money to the gym.
- Its advance features display your progress like how much calorie you have burnt and the level of your efforts.
- The risk of injury is very low in case of rowing machine because of its low impact nature.
- It provides a full body workout and thus keeps you fit.
- It is among those rare exercises which involves almost all major muscle groups and tone them up.
- It increases your stamina, strength, flexibility and focus.
- It reduces stress in the body which removes muscle and joint pain.
- It improves the cardiovascular activity in the body.
How to zero in on a rowing machine?
There are three important things which you should consider before buying a machine which are:
Space: this is an important factor because if you live in a small place and buy a big and bulky machine then it will eat up your living space.
Effectiveness: if you have bought a portable and easy to handle machine but it is not effective then it is a total waste of money. Go for an effective model which also has portability feature.
Price: there are many rowing machines which can fit into your budget and you can also buy them on installment basis. So spend your money wisely on a machine which caters to your needs and stay light on your wallet.
There are other tips which help you in finding your ultimate rowing machine which are like this:
- Don’t go by the promotional content which is available online because it is possible that their drawback or benefits may be manipulated.
- Do your own research and begin with the ecommerce sites like Amazon and look out for the most sold out rowing machines and make a list of it.
- Go to the near fitness equipment stores and try the listed machines by yourself to assess its handling and effectiveness. This personal assessment will save your money from buying a wrong product and time as well which you have to spend on sending it back and ordering a new product.
- Get detailed knowledge about the features of the machine you liked at the store such as price, portability, life span, maintenance requirement, warranty, assembling of parts etc.
- Filter out your previous list and choose the machines you liked at the store. Choose the rowing machine which fits on your parameters and buy it either online or from store.
Which rowing machine type is best for you?
The rowing machine differs on the type of resistance required in the workout. There are following resistance types
Air resistant models are ideal for advanced and intermediate rowing practitioners. This machine employs a spinning flywheel to activate wind power which creates a resistance level. Such models provide you greater control over your workout session as you can decide how much you want to row. The price of these machines ranges from $300 to $1300. It is a bit noisier than the other models.
This resistance model is ideal for beginners and designed to support the user’s upper body during rowing. This type of model consists of two hydraulic pistons independent of each other and attached to each oar which means either of the oar settings can be adjusted as per user’s need without changing the settings of other one. The cost of piston resistance ranges from $200 to $600.
This type of model is suitable for experienced rowers. This model comes with a water tank in which paddles are suspended and it gives a feel of natural rowing. The intensity of workout depends on the level of water in the tank. The more you will pull the handle, the more resistance you will feel. The costs of these machines are comparatively high which ranges from $700 to $4200.
This is another model for the beginners and it is very affordable. These models come with a brake system which prevents friction thus it becomes less effective as compared to other models. This is a very quiet machine and consists of a long seat rail. The cost of this type ranges from $225 to $1400.
Which are the best rowing machines for home?
There are many machines available in the market but some of them are highly appreciated for their easy handling and effectiveness. Here is the list of five such rowing machines which have carved a niche in the customer’s heart.
Concept 2 Model D rowing machine
Product dimension: 9 X 4 feet
Weight: 68 pounds
Warranty: 5 years frame warranty
User’s review: cost is justified by its quality and design.
- Its body is made up of stainless steel and aluminum which assures smooth and silent glide.
- Provides full rowing stroke range.
- Noise minimizing flywheel
- Nickel plated chain which requires minimal oiling and works for longer duration.
- Sustain frequent and high intensity workout
Lifespan Fitness RW1000 Rowing Machine
Product dimension: 90 x 18.5 x 23 inches
Weight: 56 pounds
Warranty: 5 years frame warranty, 2 years parts warranty and 1 year labor warranty
User’s review: great product provides easy and effective workout.
- Eddy drive system, five levels of magnetic brake resistance
- Provides smooth and fluid workout
- Foam padded hand grips and pivoting foot plate
- Simple and easy to understand display which includes basic stats of the workout such as distance, time, calories, stroke count and strokes per minute
- Compact and portable, ideal for limited floor space
- Pulling mechanism employs a strap of fabric instead of chain
- Plastic wheel balances the seat and pull movement.
- Less effective as compared to water resisting model but suitable for beginners.
Stamina 1215 Orbital Rowing Machine
Product dimension: 48 x 32.5 x 27.75 inches
Weight: 67 pounds
Warranty: 5 years frame warranty, 90 days parts warranty
User’s review: budget friendly rower which burns approx. 300 to 600 calories per hour.
- Adjustable hydraulic resistance to give you full body workout.
- Adjustable tension controls and beam incline to control the workout intensity.
- Five resistance level and adjustable arms for greater control on training.
- Provides unique rowing motion which helps in flexing your elbows to engage your core muscles while your arms and legs remain extended.
- Foldable arms for easy storage
- Thick padded seat to support heavy weight up to 250 pounds.
- Single button console to track your intensity and progress stats such as speed, time, distance, calories burned etc.
Kettler Favorit Rowing Machine
Weight: 52 pounds
Warranty: Manufacturer’s warranty
User’s review: Excellent product which can sustain vigorous and extended rowing.
- Two hydraulic resistance systems
- LCD display for time measurement, number of oar strokes, speed of strokes, distance covered
- Visual and audio signals
- You can customize your workout by setting the distance and stroke speed
Stamina air rower
Product dimension: 77 x 18 x 22 inches
Weight: 55 pounds
Warranty: 3 years frame warranty and 90 days parts warranty
User’s review: excellent rower for home.
- Air resistance system provides smooth and efficient rowing stroke.
- Electronic performance monitor to display speed, distance, time and calories burn.
- Comfortable padded sliding seat
- Large foot plates to accommodate person of any size
- Adjustable nylon straps to securely hold the feet
- Steel construction for long durability
- Built in wheels and foldable frame for easy storage and portability
Floor protectors to prevent any scratches and safeguard the workout area.
Latest posts by Piya C (see all)
- List of Bollywood Actresses Who Have Had Cosmetic Surgery [Some are Disasters] - December 27, 2017
- How to Increase Height After 18, 21 or 25 - December 27, 2017
- List of Indian Celebrities Who Got Married in 2017 [Updated] - December 27, 2017